- 1 What questions should I ask my orthopedic doctor?
- 2 What should I expect at an orthopedic appointment?
- 3 What can orthopedic doctors diagnose?
- 4 What questions should I ask my shoulder surgeon?
- 5 What should I wear to an orthopedic appointment?
- 6 How do I find a good orthopedic doctor?
- 7 Can a orthopedic write prescriptions?
- 8 What is an orthopedic examination?
- 9 What part of the body does an orthopedic doctor treat?
- 10 What is the difference between orthopedic and Orthopaedic?
- 11 What will an orthopedic doctor do for back pain?
- 12 What can an orthopedic doctor do for arthritis?
- 13 What are good questions to ask a surgeon?
- 14 What questions should I ask my doctor after shoulder surgery?
- 15 What should I expect at my first orthopedic surgeon?
What questions should I ask my orthopedic doctor?
8 Questions to Ask During Your First Orthopaedic Appointment
- What do you need to know about my medical history?
- What does this pain mean?
- How can I prevent other orthopaedic issues?
- What foods, drinks, or activities should I avoid for my treatment?
- What are the risks and benefits of this treatment plan?
- Can I have more information to take with me?
What should I expect at an orthopedic appointment?
What to Expect from an Initial Orthopedic Consultation
- Medical History Questionnaire and Examination. The doctor will likely ask you about your general health, past health conditions, family medical history, and other existing conditions that you may have.
- Orthopedic Physical Examination.
- X-Rays for Orthopedic Assessment.
- Orthopedic Doctor in Canton, OH.
What can orthopedic doctors diagnose?
Orthopedic doctors diagnose and treat many types of pain all over the body, including:
- knee pain.
- hip pain.
- shoulder, elbow, wrist or hand pain.
- ankle or foot pain.
- back or neck pain.
What questions should I ask my shoulder surgeon?
Questions When Considering Shoulder Surgery
- Do I need to have surgery?
- What would happen if I wait six months?
- If I need surgery, what complications may occur with this kind of surgery?
- How many surgeries of this type have you done?
- What is the expected recovery time from surgery?
- How many days will I be in the hospital after surgery?
What should I wear to an orthopedic appointment?
If you are attending for a knee, hip or spine problem, please wear or bring shorts to your appointment. If you are having shoulder or elbow problems, please wear a singlet or a top that has few buttons.
How do I find a good orthopedic doctor?
Here are important factors to keep in mind.
- Get Referrals.
- Research the Orthopedic Surgeon’s Credentials.
- Consider the Orthopedic Surgeon’s Experience.
- Consider Gender.
- Research Hospital Quality.
- Evaluate Communication Style.
- Read Patient Reviews.
- Know What Your Insurance Covers.
Can a orthopedic write prescriptions?
Orthopedic surgeons are among the physicians most likely to prescribe narcotics. In light of the current opioid epidemic, it is crucial that all physicians be mindful of their prescribing patterns and minimize narcotic use for different patient cohorts.
What is an orthopedic examination?
An orthopedic evaluation is an exam that gives your surgeon the information they need to recommend the best pain-relieving procedures for you. Orthopedic surgeons perform thorough orthopedic evaluations when determining the most appropriate form of treatment for your musculoskeletal condition or injury.
What part of the body does an orthopedic doctor treat?
Orthopedic surgeons are doctors who specialize in the musculoskeletal system – the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles that are so essential to movement and everyday life. With more than 200 bones in the human body, it’s an in-demand specialty.
What is the difference between orthopedic and Orthopaedic?
Orthopaedics is the original British form of the word and Orthopedics is a more Americanized version. The word “ Orthopaedics ” comes from the Greek words “orthos” – meaning straight – and “paideion” – meaning children.
What will an orthopedic doctor do for back pain?
Options include trigger point injections to relieve painful muscles, anti-inflammatory joint injections, epidural injections for spinal nerves, or nerve blocks. In more serious cases, your doctor may recommend surgery.
What can an orthopedic doctor do for arthritis?
Orthopedists are surgeons who address bone and joint diseases and injuries, such as arthritis, osteoarthritis, and body trauma. An orthopedic physician treats conditions such as:
- Nerve pain.
- Joints that must be surgically repaired.
- Neck pain.
- Back pain.
- Herniated disc.
What are good questions to ask a surgeon?
Questions to Ask Before Surgery
- What is the operation being recommended?
- Why is the procedure needed?
- What are my alternatives to this procedure?
- What are the benefits of the surgery and how long will they last?
- What are the risks and possible complications of having the operation?
- What happens if you do not have the operation?
What questions should I ask my doctor after shoulder surgery?
The 5 Most Important Questions to Ask Your Shoulder Surgeon
- What are the alternatives to shoulder surgery?
- What is the risk to not performing surgery?
- What is the expected length of recovery?
- How many procedures do you perform every year?
- What are the risks of complications and what is your complication rate?
What should I expect at my first orthopedic surgeon?
Your first orthopedic appointment will most likely include a comprehensive medical history evaluation, diagnostic imaging (X-rays and/or MRI), and physical tests. The following checklist will help you and your orthopedic doctor discuss the important issues for getting the most out of your first orthopedic appointment.